I am now a proud owner of a Dell Vostro 1510. I have not used it for long enough to write a review – neither am I a Gadget-Guru to shed Gyaan. But one thing I way I could help those who are looking for a (basic) business laptop in the sub-40K (Rs. 40,000) price range is that it will basically boil down to these 2:
- The Dell Vostro 1510
- Lenovo ThinkPad R61i
I have not considered Compaq / HP – because of HP’s build quality (both of which are poor – the ‘build’ AND the ‘quality’) and I did not consider Sony Vaio because: a) it was slightly beyond my budget and b) I heard it needs to be handled delicately.
Things in favour of Lenovo R61i:
- Phenomenal build quality. Sturdy. Can be used to throw and scare stray dogs away in an alley late at night
- Nice screen. Un-glossy display. Does not hit the eye
- Terrific keyboard – the absolute perfect ratios – size of keys and stroke levels
Things in favour of Dell Vostro 1510:
- Dell’s service – the benefits of which I have already reaped once!
- Decent keyboard and build quality (Not as good as a Lenovo – but a close second)
As a student, I wanted quick, hassle-free service. Which is why the Dell Vostro 1510 wins hands-down at the price I got it for at a prominent laptop store in Lamington Road, Mumbai!